Why write to a prompt
Writing from prompts can help you…
- Create new material for further development
- Discover new approaches to material already in-process
- Solve plotting problems
- Smoke out additional dimensions of your characters
- Remember that writing is FUN!
In particular, prompts that create some sort of tension – like forcing together two ideas that don’t quite fit – can really help us make a creative breakthrough.
Some good sources of writing prompts:
- The Pocket Muse, by Monica Wood
- The Sun Magazine
- Wild Mind, by Natalie Goldberg
- The Poet’s Companion, by Addonizio and Laux
Source: Jamie Morris, Woodstream Writers – http://www.woodstreamwriters.com